This week started out with the team having to go to several meetings at school, going through our game and graphical art. So, we lost a few hours and didn’t really get to work until Tuesday. From Tuesday and onward I worked with the game’s placeholders, fixing faulty assets that were the wrong size/didn’t look good and creating new placeholders from the Asset list. During that whole time, I also ran around helping everyone with technical and graphical issues.
As I finished up the last placeholders, I imported the highpoly arms I made during the second week of development and started working on the arms in Substance Painter. I started off with baking a Normal map based on the Highpoly model onto the Lowpoly one.
After this I started on their texture, I used a skin material as a base but changed most of it to make it look better and fit our style.
For the sake of study and perhaps in helping others, I will go through my working process and show pictures of every stage.
- I started with the base colour. A light brown colour, since our player character is of mixed descent.
- I then created a layer with a lighter colour, in which I used for the palm and the backside of the underarm. I did this since a person naturally have colour variations in their skin and because the top of the arm usually gets more sunburned. Also, a light pink was added, as the palm is often a bit rosier in colour then the rest of the arm.
- Dots and skin bumps was added so it would look like skin and a red AO for between the fingers and where the clock occluded the skin.
- To make it look more natural, two layers of red and blue veins was added at random, using a generator for the masking.
- Highlights and Shadows were added for the stylistic choice we made for the game.
- Fingernails and dirt was added.
- And lastly a compass clock was drawn in.
For the right hand, the same process was applied, only that I later added a “zombie” material to it and yellowed the nails.
Thank you for reading and I hope you have a wonderful day! And if you want to see the finished results, you can see it down below.